With only two full time and four or five seasonal employees, an outstanding job of maintaining and operating the cemetery has been done. The grounds looked very good for Memorial Day and throughout the summer of 2007. The City has received numerous compliments on the job the employees have done. Larry Schermerhorn, the Cemetery Sexton, is also being utilized for duties at the Omar Bradley Airport.
Sales and Statistics
Nineteen (19) lots were sold in 2006. There were seventy-five (75) burials, not including Mausoleum spaces.
Three (3) areas of the older section of the Cemetery were subdivided for additional burial lots in 2003. A road was constructed in the 3rd Addition to improve access to this area as well. Lots in this new addition are currently for sale, and cost $500.00 per space. This addition, known as the 14th addition to Oakland Cemetery is the largest addition, with a total of 2,530 spaces.
The main entrance to the Oakland Cemetery is located off of East Rollins Street, just before the Cater Funeral Home.
Moberly, MO 65270
8:00 am - 5:00 pm (Office hours)
At a council meeting on May 23, 1870, A.T. Franklin and William Seelen were appointed to investigate and report the most suitable ground for a city cemetery. The council then authorized purchase of 40 acres of land from Hunt, Godfrey and Porter on June 7, 1870. Lots were laid out on January 25, 1871, and W. A. Whitney was elected sexton on July 15, 1871.
The Council subsequently authorized $100 to be spent upon ornamental trees and beautification of the grounds. There have been 13 additions since the original purchase of land. The population of the cemetery now exceeds that of present-day Moberly.
|The kiosk or directory structure is complete! The map and coordinate legend are ready for display.|