Notable Properties 2009

516 West Urbandale Current Owner- Cynthia McNamara

516urbandaleBuilt by German native, Robert Miller in the 1880’s Patterned after a castle on the Rhine River. 1925 Green Terrill sold house to his brother James and Lulu. It was 10 years before the house changed owners and another seven years and several other owners before the house was restored.
Building Features: 4500 square foot mansion, Turrets and state roof, Original stained glass windows, All wood was imported from Europe, Not a single nails used in building the home (screws only), Teak and pecan parquet floors, Four fireplaces, Tin ceilings, Claw Foot tubs, 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, All woodwork is unpainted, First home in area with electric lights and indoor plumbing

111 North 4th Current Owner- Little Dixie Regional Library

Built by German native, Robert Miller in the 1880’s Patterned after a castle on the Rhine River. 1925 Green Terrill sold house to his brother James and Lulu. It was 10 years before the house changed owners and another seven years and several other owners before the house was restored.
Building Features: 4500 square foot mansion, Turrets and state roof, Original stained glass windows, All wood was imported from Europe, Not a single nails used in building the home (screws only), Teak and pecan parquet floors, Four fireplaces, Tin ceilings, Claw Foot tubs, 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, All woodwork is unpainted, First home in area with electric lights and indoor plumbing

402 S Williams Current Owners- Mike and Jane Longbine

402-S-williamsDr. Charles & Cordelia Dodson– Dodson Hospital, Louis and Clara Sosna– Sosna Theater, Dr. & Mrs. Charles Harris– local chiropractor
Building Features: Irish architectural flair, tall ceilings and many pocket doors, Original portico on North side for unloading of passengers of buggies, two secret panels in basement, garage– possibly stable and servants quarters at one time.

1421 East McKinsey Current Owner- Jimmy & Bonnie Bohannon

Known as Coates/Burton House. Is actually two historical houses that were moved to current site, combined and renovated in 1990’s and early 2000. The Coates House was named after J. T. Coates-prominent citizen and circuit judge.
Building Features: 
Coates House: Built of Cypress from local brick, hair used to bond interior plaster, curved staircase, two original fireplace mantels, hidey-hole in upstairs hallway, hiding places behind upstairs pocket door.
Burton House: Interior is reflective of the Arts & Crafts movement or Prairie style, two structures are connected by a hyphen built from salvaged materials from a home in Gorin, Missouri

209 N Clark Current Owner - Bill & Marianna Sparks

Original owner of land was John P Clark, for whom Clark Street was named. 1922 building purchased by Gerard & Stella Sparks. The W. B. Stone family purchased the building from Stella Sparks in 1931. The building stayed in the Stone Family until 2002, when it was sold back to the Sparks family.
Building Features: High tin ceiling, some exposed brick, original plaster, walk-in vault, ornate outside pillars, window cornices.