Notable Properties 2010
Urbandale Pillars Current owner-City of Moberly
Built in 1912 the Moberly Agricultural Fair Association purchased 40 acres south of Moberly from Lena & E. Green Terrill. This 40 acres became part of the Moberly Fairgrounds. Two tickets booths stood at t the north and main entrance to the fairgrounds. In 1917 the fairground was destroyed by a fire. Urbandale was incorporated as a village in 1927. For 37 yrs it had a corporate existence and had only women on its official board, know, as “petticoat government”.
Features: The pillars have suffered damage over the years. Recently after being hit by a car, the wood frame of the original ticket booth, window, and door frame of the east pillar was visible at that time. The pillars have been maintained by the residents of Urbandale, even though they stand on City property.
701 Fisk Avenue Current Owner- Rebecca Roberts
The property was purchased 1907 by Jess Myer. In 1909 Floyd Lambert purchased the property. Robert Kelley purchased the property in 1911 then sold it to James Lowell in 1915. JE Campbell then purchased the property in 1940 and sold it to Christine Campbell in 1945. In 1951 F D Leavene purchased the property and in 1962 Robert Leavene was living in the upstairs of this property. In 1963 the home was purchased by M E Neal he sold it in 1966 to Jack Conroy, who then sold it to Fred Harrison in 1995. In 2002 David Hill bought the property and then sold it to Rebecca Roberts in 2004, who she owns this property presently.
Building Features: The beautiful, original woodwork and interior staircase with outstanding wood railing remains. There has been updating to the kitchen and bathroom, as is expected in any historic home. A garage was added to the rear of the home in the late 1990’s. The house is built of concrete blocks that look like stone. The front window has a top sash of art leaded sheet glass. The 9 room home is still in excellent condition. In 1908 this home was sold in the Sear catalogue for $1995.
318-320 West Reed Street Current Owner-William F. Reid
In 1851 a tract of land was given to Andrew Tedford by the US Government. In 1875 William Brothers Furniture and Undertaking was built. In 1878 W F Elliot purchased the property. In 1884 H M Porter bought the property then, sold it to Frank Forney in 1903. In 1928 Frank Forney sold it to Will Duval and William M. Reid. In 1969 the property was sold to William F. Reid. In turn his son William M. Reid remains the current owner.
Building Features: Beveled glass windows between display windows of the store. Glass-front drawers, with wooden display racks and trays. The woodwork is original to when William M. ran the store. There are glass-front sliding doors on racks in storage room. There is a wooden stairway in the rear that leads to a mezzanine. The tin ceiling still is visible in the storage room. The showroom ceiling was lowered in1960’s but tin is still above it.