The station was purchased on July 16, 1873. Isaac Gibson who was named as engine chief, with police power. A few days later a lot was purchased to be used as the City Hall. The Number 1 Fire Station is still at this location. Then the council organized a Fire Department and purchased uniforms for 24 men and a team and wagon to haul the engine.
The first fire limits was established by an Ordinance on October 23, 1874 when the Council approved a law that no frame or wooden buildings will be erected on either side of Coates and Reed Street.