At a council meeting on May 23, 1870, A.T. Franklin and William Seelen were appointed to investigate and report the most suitable ground for a city cemetery. The council then authorized purchase of 40 acres of land from Hunt, Godfrey and Porter on June 7, 1870. Lots were laid out on January 25, 1871, and W A. Whitney was elected sexton on July 15, 1871.
The Council subsequently authorized $100 to be spent upon ornamental trees and beautification of the grounds. There have been 13 additions since the original purchase of land. The population of the cemetery now exceeds that of present-day Moberly.
The kiosk or directory structure is complete! The map and coordinate legend are ready for display.